Do you know Yangnyeom Tongdak?
It is a famous Korean fried chicken seasoned with a sweet and spicy sauce. It is often eaten as a fast food or as an appetizer with Soju and pickled radishes.
With a friend we have found a really simple recipe on the internet, and we tried it out 🙂
The ingredients we used ( 3-4 people)
- 1.5 Kg of chicken chunks
- ground black pepper
- baking soda
- hot pepper paste
- rice syrup
- apple vinegar
- potato starch powder
- Sweet rice flour
In pink are the ingredients we especially went to a Korean store to buy. But you may also find those in some basic Chinese stores. Below is a pictures of how those products look like :
In paris there are many Korean stores, we went to the one situated in the Pyramide station called Kmart. Here is the address : 8 Rue Sainte-Anne, 75001 Paris
Below are the instruction we followed :
- Flavor the chicken : Add one teaspoon of black pepper and salt
2. Add ½ cup potato starch powder, ¼ cup of flour, ¼ cup sweet rice flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 egg onto the chicken
3. Fry the chicken for about 10 minutes over high heat. For a more crispy effect, you may want to fry your chicken twice.
4. Preparing the sauce : put some oil and 4 cloves of minced garlic onto a heated pan. Then Add ⅓ cup tomato ketchup, ⅓ cup rice syrup, ¼ cup hot pepper paste, 1 spoon of apple vinegar and mix everything for about 7 minutes. Keep the heat low to be be sure not to burn the sauce. ( you can prepare the sauce while frying the chicken)
5. Put the fried chicken into the sauce and gently mix it up.
6. Optional : you can add some roasted sesame seeds for decoration
And here is the result :
Below is the video we followed for the recipe if you want to have a go 🙂
We had so much fun making this recipe. Great moments can be easy as cooking foods with some friends 🙂
Bon appétit !